Jules and Hayley -- Andy can give you a full-fledged financial lesson, but upon Hayley's request, I thought I'd share my top 10 tips for saving money on everyday stuff.
1) Pick and choose furnishings and decorations you really, truly love. I bought lots of stuff just to fill the space, and I still regret how much money I wasted. It's really worth buying one item at a time and gradually building your collection of treasures.
2) If you live with a roomie, share things like condiments, toilet paper, paper towels, and cleaning supplies. You'll save precious closet space and money.
3) Find a grocery store that has a good "store brand." I love Hy-Vee because their products are the same as the real deal. I usually buy the store brand for these items: cream cheese, juice, milk, packaged cheese, salsa, all canned goods, pudding cups, frozen fruits, chocolate chips, and ice cream bars.
4) If you have room, buy these items in bulk: light bulbs, Kleenex, toilet paper, paper towels, bar soap, Clorox clean-up wipes, cereal (if you eat as much as I do, heh heh) and pretty much anything that doesn't expire.
5) Make only one shopping trip a week, if possible. Anytime you run into the drugstore to pick up one item, you'll probably walk out with five others. :)
6) Make a shopping list and STICK TO IT! I think we eat much healthier and save money when I take a few minutes to plan a menu for the week.
7) Clip coupons and shop sales. Sounds so mom-ish, right? But it really does save a lot of money. (Sales are almost always better deals than coupons, however.)
8) Make nutritious meals that yield lots of leftovers. I really like leftovers that I can put in the freezer, then defrost on a busy day when we don't feel like cooking. Soup, lasagna, meatballs, and enchiladas freeze well.
9) Take advantage of cheap meal nights at local restaurants. Andy and I still go to Old Chicago a few times a month for the Wednesday night $1 slice deal.
10) Once you're away from the dorm meal plan, it's so tempting to go out to eat instead of staying in and cooking. Bring your lunches, prepare stuff at home whenever possible, and treat yourself to a weekly dinner out with friends.
11) Sorry, thought of another one. Bar drinks are expensive. Save your liver and your pocketbook and limit how many drinks you buy. ;)
Watch for my next installments: Quick & Cheap Meals, What to Keep in the Kitchen at All Times, and What's Worth Splurging On.
Sunday, April 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Schnookie, you're a machine!
Post a Comment