Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Health food? I don't think so.

As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I’m making an effort to eat healthier. I’ve been very frustrated to discover that most low-fat or fat-free foods replace high-fructose corn syrup with something even more evil – artificial sweeteners. I have a huge aversion to sucralose, Splenda, NutraSweet, and the like. Not only do they taste terrible, but chemical sugar should not be considered a healthy alternative, even if it does contain fewer calories.

A few weeks ago, I found a terrific sale on Quaker Simply Harvest oatmeal packets. I tried the vanilla-almond variety and it was simply fantastic – filling, low-cal, high-fiber and tasty to boot! When I ran out, I had a dilemma: spend $4.29 for a 12-pack of oatmeal, which is ridiculous, or find a cheaper alternative. I went with the latter option. I picked up a variety pack Quaker Weight Control oatmeal, pleased that I’d found a similar product for less. Big mistake. On Saturday morning, I was stoked about drinking a cup of coffee and eating some banana nut muffin oatmeal. The first bite tasted cloyingly sweet, but I figured that I’d chosen the bad flavor in the box, so I finished the bowl. Then I looked at the package: Every variety contains a generous helping of sucralose.

Wonderful. I should’ve spent the extra $1.50 on the Simply Harvest, because I’ll probably never eat this weight-control stuff again. I expect to thoroughly inspect yogurt labels for offending sweeteners, but oatmeal? That one threw me for a loop.

Has anyone else run into this problem? It seems that most people aren’t bothered by artificial sweeteners, but my gag reflex kicks in whenever I get near the stuff.

I think I’ll stick with my Grandma Shirley’s advice: Eat the real stuff, just less of it.

3 comments:

Paul Anderson said...

$10 says Julie writes something. I don't really ever read nutrition facts. I could really go for a banana split right now though :D

Julie said...

I only eat real stuff. When something is too unhealthy for me to justify, I simply remove it from my diet (or attempt to anyway). I have a favorite way to eat oatmeal, thought I'd share - steal cut oats (15 min cook time) with spoonful of brown sugar, handful of raspberries (defrosted overnight) and a little milk. I hated oatmeal until I started that variety, but figured the heart problems in my family justified trying other kinds.

How has your healthiness been going overall? I've been trying to do better this summer as well. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks every day, and protein is included in each eating. I even invented an amazing berry smoothie that incorporates protein powder! Kashi cereals are my morning saviors. I do a lot of chicken and fish and fiberous veggies. Almonds and dried mango are my favorite snack (mary and I decided dried mango is the new craisins).

I've been getting a lot of workout ideas from an e-book written by valerie waters, the trainer for jennifer garner and jessica biel. She's famous for amazing results from short, manageable workouts.

Moral of the story - fake food does suck. And it messes with your digestive system. I'm so glad you're a smart shopper! Keep me updated on your good progress and have a great weekend at the lake!

...SO glad I'm back to blogging. =)

Ashley said...

Good ideas, Julie. Keep them coming!

Overall, I think things are going well, although it goes without saying that changing old habits can be tough sometimes. I still have a tendency to mentally berate myself when I slip up. I realize that's not useful or constructive. ;)

Since you were so kind to share an oatmeal recipe with me, here's our latest chicken creation:
- Lightly salt chicken breasts or tenderloins and saute in olive oil with a pinch of garlic.
- In the meantime, slice up an avocado, a tomato, a bit of red onion and combine it with a teaspoon of lime or lemon juice and some cilantro. Don't mash it like you would when making guacamole; just leave everything in pieces.
- Eat the chicken and avocado mixture together, or leave on the side. Either way, it's delicious -- and a really quick meal to throw together.