Saturday, January 31, 2009

Been Awhile

Sorry it has been so long since my last post -- just been slammed lately with all the turmoil in the Asian markets. A few Saturday musings:

  • I enjoy drinking coffee once a week or so with Ashley on the weekends, but holy crap, when you body isn't used to coffee you immediately need to -- well -- holy crap.
  • I've given up on having hair. I'm now down to a 1-guard and will consider the move of shaving it all together sometime this summer so my nugget doesn't have tan lines all winter from the little hair remaining.
  • I don't care what your politics are, but the inauguration was way cool. Inspiring, monumental, and having a guy that is not a certified idiot in the White House. And if there was any doubt, Dick Cheney has completed his transformation to the dark side and is now the Dark Emperor Palpatine.
  • We're going to Mexico in March. Yippie.
  • Guitar is coming along nicely.
  • Last year, my goal was to get in shape and be able to bike 100 miles in a month. I topped out July with 130 miles. I got down to my best weight since my freshman year of college and have been able to keep most of it off this summer. Now onto strength....
  • I decided to try the 100 push-up challenge and train to do 100 consecutive push-ups. Kind of like training for a 5K, but with strength. http://hundredpushups.com/complete.html
  • So far, the 100 push-up challenge has appeared to be a dumb idea. My boobs are killing me. :)
  • I have a severely ailing grandfather. He's on borrowed time anyway since they told him he had 4 years to live over three decades ago, but this is not how I want to remember him. It is very difficult for me to be around him -- and that is my problem not his -- and very sad for me. In a way, I feel like I have already mourned him, because the man who was my grandfather was gone long ago. In some ways, when the phone rings and tells me he is finally gone, I have a hunch I may actually feel relieved instead of sad. I don't know.
  • I still type very poorly.
  • We went out to dinner with Lindzo last night, and she's rocking at life right now. Give her mad props. 17 months from graduation, jet setting across Europe, acting all mature, having almost as full of a social dating calender as her own grandfather. She needs to get on her and get her brag on. Happiest I've ever seen her.
  • I am not rocking at life. Got a speeding ticket last week, and no excuses. Totally got nailed, like a drunk, trashy sophomore on prom night.
  • I am still offering Andy's basic financial management class as you all finish up your schooling and start to have to look into insurance, benefits and 401Ks and the like.
  • I am in love with my father-in-law's GPS. If he's never going to use it, I may try to buy it off of him on the cheap so everybody wins.
  • I think I want to teach a class -- but I doubt I'll get the opportunity any time soon with budget cuts happening at the university
That's it. It's 55 degrees out, so I'm goign to go play.

6 comments:

Julie said...

I know a mid-30s woman who did the 100 pushup challenge. Do a good job, and treat yourself to that tshirt at the end.

My blogness has been sad also. I reply enough, but my life hasn't been exciting enough to deserve a post. Later this week I should whip something out anyway.

As for finances, I've been actually trying to figure out a good time when I can visit or something so I can absorb your knowledge. I know more than I did a year ago, but still could use a lot of advice.

And now I'm off to make a dinner omelet.

Andy said...

I will trade you a financial advice session for a quilt of my old college band shits if you are still bored. :)

Ashley said...

Band shits? LOL.

Ashley said...

Julie, we have a guest room waiting for you at any time. Remember, Lincoln is a nice halfway point between Madison and Denver. :)

Julie said...

I think it's a fantastic trade. The quilt is definitely still a go on my end, we just need a time to set things up. I'll be out west more these next few months once i start interviewing and apartment shopping. =)

Lindsey said...

I am at fault, as well, for not blogging enough. Hopefully, I will find some time in the next couple of days to give everyone some of the highlights from my trip, and I guess since Andy thinks my life is so wonderful, maybe some highlights from my life, as well! Hee hee!