Monday, November 28, 2005

I am recovering from some shocking news one of my coworkers told me about five minutes ago. Hayley and Lindsey, brace yourselves: The Red Barn is becoming a strip joint.

The Red Barn is the tavern in Goehner where, as a child, I ordered many plates of grilled cheese and fries, which I washed down with a Shirley Temple. It's also the place where farmers stop for lunch, order an evening beer, and play cards. Dad has been a regular customer for at least 30 years. It's not an upscale place by any means, but the jukebox, the beer posters, and the red toilet seat in the ladies' room look downright classy compared to a stage filled with exotic dancers.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Honestly, I can't see any of the locals going there. If they wanted to go to a strip bar, they would drive to Lincoln, Waverly, Greenwood, or Omaha. It would be too embarrassing to go to a local strip bar ... gossip travels too fast. A strip bar in Goehner would likely attract the people who live *just* far enough away from Goehner that the locals won't recognize them or their vehicles.

Lindsey said...

Yes, yes, I already know. Dad was t-oed. Sorry I didn't inform you of this shocking news.