It’s the last day of the 2006 legislative session. Thanks to Nebraska’s new term limits law, this is the last day ever for 20 of our 49 senators. The past few weeks have been intense and have included 1) a controversial bill that would split the state’s largest school district into three separate ones; 2) a vote to impeach one of the university’s regents; 3) a vote that will allow people to carry concealed weapons. These are the kind of issues permanently alter the state’s political climate.
I wish I were there. Simply reading about legislation isn’t nearly as exciting (or informative) as watching it happen. Newspapers can’t communicate body language. I can’t watch negotiations evolve. I can’t overhear the conversations between two of the senior members whose desks were located about 18 inches from mine.
When I read the newspaper or watch the news, I can imagine the buzz of energy in the chamber because I’ve been part of it before. But imagination isn’t as powerful as participation, and it’s hard to be an outsider once you’ve been an insider. The closest thing I can compare it to is visiting your alma mater. The surroundings are familiar, but everything feels strange because you’re no longer part of the scene.
My former coworkers have told me that the last few weeks have been grueling. Everyone is edgy and tempers are flaring. They’ve been working until 9 or 10 p.m. most days. I remember those days – they’re mentally exhausting, but ultimately rewarding.
Times like this make me question whether leaving was the right decision. Career-wise, it was the right thing to do. On a more personal level, moving on has been more difficult.
In the next few years, all of you will be making big choices about your futures. With choice comes change, which always brings a strange mix of joy and turmoil to our lives. I’ve decided that almost every big decision – whether it’s changing jobs, picking a college, or getting married – is a huge leap of faith. There are no guarantees in life, and even the “good” or “easy” choices require us to adjust and grow up.
The good thing about difficulty is that it often changes us for the better. I’ve learned more during the dark times of life than the shiny, happy ones. Don’t be afraid to take risks and move outside your comfort zone. If something doesn’t work out the way you planned, you’ll likely gain something far greater.
Thursday, April 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
yeah, marrying that bozo asshat from Gretna was definately a huge risk for you.
anyone but dick cheney should be able to carry a concealed firearm imo.
Schnookums, I'm so sorry that you can't be in there with all of the legislative happenings. However, it is kind of inspiring to know that you tried something new and enjoy it as well. With most changes in life there are good and bad. I guess you have to take your happy memories from your past job and put that much positive energy in your new one. And Andy, you aren't a bozo asshat, you're more like a super cool brother-in-law/interviewing board member that looks out for the likelyhood of his little sisters!
Good one, Paul. ;)
Honey, marrying you was one of those easy decisions. awwwwwwww
Ashley, you are a wise, wise woman.
Post a Comment