Sunday, January 21, 2007

The price we pay for beauty

I'm sitting in front of the computer with honey and oatmeal on my face.

After a day of cooking up a storm, studying, and laundry, I decided I'd spend the last hour of my Sunday pampering myself. God only knows why I thought a homemade face mask was a good idea. I haven't done this since high school, and you'd think a nine-year absence from home beauty projects gone awry would've stopped me.

Anyhoo, I surfed the web to find recipes that didn't involve rose water, clay, or egg whites because a) who has a stash of rose water and clay? and b) eww, Salmonella City NEAR MY MOUTH.

I smell good, like a loaf of honey-oat bread. But I didn't realize how HARD it would be to make the oatmeal stick to my face. So there I was, standing at my bathroom sink, slapping on this goo like I was applying stucco to a house.

(hold on, will return in 2.2)

(okay, it's been more like 5 minutes)

I also forgot that most bathroom sink drains are not equipped to handle food product, so I rinsed myself over the kitchen sink. The verdict: While my face is baby-soft (and surprisingly un-sticky) I think I'll buy a premade mask at Bath and Body Works if I ever have another urge to mask.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never had a successful experience with a homemade mask either. I think I tried avacado - didn't result in the proper consistency.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I'm too scared to mess with home remedies for my face. First of all, I have sensitive skin and eczema. Second, I show may face to the world all day long, at least anything I try on elbows or legs can be hidden. But way to try something new, Schnookums!

I also had a pampering date this weekend. I soaked in a hot bubble bath, exfoliated, and lathered on the body butter while listening to Norah Jones. Now that is what I call therapy!

Ashley said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one with masking issues. LOL