Wednesday, August 01, 2007

I'll send an S.O.S to the world

Ladies and gentlemen, I am in trouble. I have writer's burnout. When 60% of your job relies on your ability to write coherently, that's a huge problem.

I've been Googling solutions to my problem. Surprisingly, most "experts" say to write more--but for yourself, not for your job. Are you effing kidding me? Writing is the last thing I feel like doing in my free time. I haven't even sent thank you notes for our lovely anniversary gifts.

This is a very miserable time in my career, for many reasons that I won't go into just in case somebody outside the Anderson world accidentally stumbles upon this. And now I'm losing the ability to do the one thing I've always been good at. :(

*ten points to the person who can name the song and artist from which my headline originated*

3 comments:

Mary said...

Sting, "Message in a Bottle"

But I cheated and googled it. I cannot say I entirely feel your pain, but I have been attempting to write my 1-page personal statement for residency for the last 4 weeks. I first developed writer's block when I entered college 7 years ago and my Spanish teacher was too nit-picky with my essays. So now I can spend an hour trying to write a sentence because I cannot get the words to "flow."

Ashley said...

Nitpicky professors can absolutely kill someone's ability to write. I don't think I've full recovered from my advanced reporting class, and that was almost six years ago. ;)

Hayley said...

Yikes, this all sounds troublesome. I'm not sure what to tell you Schnookie except....TAKE A BREAK! Leave work for a long weekend or something and regroup. It may not help your writing, but at least you'll have more of a piece of mind.

P.S. I took your advice to heart and have started to journal. Aren't you proud?