Friday, December 07, 2007

Endings always make me sad

I know, it's a miracle. I'm finally blogging again. Sorry it didn't happen sooner, but I just didn't have a whole lot to say. Here goes it!

I have been working my little tushy off all semester, and next week it will all finally come to an end. Unfortunately, this means there are some good things that are coming to an end as well. Once of those occurred today. The way the Doane education plan works, education majors begin helping in classrooms when they are sophomores all the way until they are seniors. This semester, I have spent five hours of my week (on top of a full course schedule, working, and babysitting) in a kindergarten classroom at the elementary school in Crete. Over the semester, I have gotten to know all the little kiddies very well. I have laughed, learned, and received many hugs! Not to mention, I had an awesome teacher to work with. Today was my last day with my little kindergartners. It was a sad day for me, but was made super special when Mrs. Miller asked me to sit in her blue chair. I sat down, and out she came with a card and a present just for me. The card has all the kids' faces made into the shape of a Christmas tree. Inside, all of the kids signed their names. The present was a tote bag with the hand prints of some of the students with their names written next to their hand. It was sooooooo sweet, and made me feel so good about my future career! Afterwards, Mrs. Miller told me how much I will be missed and how much she appreciated all my help. It felt so good to know that I had such an effect on a group of people.

Throughout all of this, I had to make sure I didn't break down and cry. Seriously, it was really tough. I've been kind of emotional lately; I think my hard work is starting to catch up with me. Surprisingly, I'm not overly stressed about finals. Instead, every little thing makes me want to cry. Stupid stuff like TV shows that should have no effect on me make me feel emotional. I finished a book today. It's the last one in the series (it's actually a prequel, but it's the last one), and finishing it was like an end of an era or something and made me feel like crying! I don't get it, but whatever. Soon, I will be at home watching Christmas movies and relaxing like Julie!

5 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, lindsey! i totally know what you mean about feeling emotional over everything. sounds like you've had a great time at school and the time in classroom seems great.

good luck with finals, all!

Andy said...

I have no idea about these emotions you all talk about. I am dead inside. It's true. Andy happy and Andy sad look exactly the same.

Ashley said...

Lindsey, I think it's so sweet that your classroom experiences have affected you in such a postive way. You're going to be an awesome teacher -- actually, from the sounds of it, you are already. :)

I know what you mean about being emotional about everything. I get into those phases, too. I remember a few months ago, I saw a commercial for the SPCA. They were showing all these abused puppies and kitties that needed new homes and lots of love. "In the Arms of an Angel" by Sarah McLachlin was playing in the background. Thirty seconds into the commercial, I was weeping like someone had died. Just ask Andy; it was a very bizarre moment. :)

Lindsey said...

lol...i could've had one of those moments this week, but i held myself back. i didn't want my roomie to think i was a complete nutcase! hee hee hee!

Hayley said...

You want to know nutcase? Me. I have been bawling for like a month and I'm not sure I knew I had these feelings until now. I realize I'm going through a lot of change, but I hate it all. I packed up ALL my crap at the house. Do you know how sad I was to take down my tree? It may sound stupid, but I just remembered the lovely nights sitting around my Christmas tree with Shannon last year. Sad day.