Today, my work took me to the Home Economics building -- one of the few places on campus I’ve never been. I went there to interview a guy who is affiliated with the quilt center I mentioned in an earlier blog.
I’ve always heard that the textiles, clothing and design department is like a different universe. I figured that was because the TCD girls dress like Project Runway models while the rest of campus is grubbing out in sweatpants and Uggs.
But TCD turned out to be so much more. (This is not sarcasm, by the way.)
Once I contained my glee over seeing Vogue in the waiting room (what other place on campus has the good sense to offer this amenity?), I was able to focus. Kind of. I secretly wanted to sneak into the studios and touch all the gorgeous fabric.
Until college, I engaged in some form of creative expression every day, whether it was in music class, doing layout for the yearbook, or just spending time alone drawing or writing. I don’t do any of that anymore. The only bummer about turning your hobby into a career is that it’s, well, work. After spending half my day or more on writing projects, it’s the last thing I want to do when I come home. Also, journalism school was the best and worst thing that ever happened to my writing, but that’s a story for another time.
Being in the studios reminded me that it would be nice to have an artsy hobby again. I’ve channeled most of my artistic energy into home decorating, which is fun, but I can’t paint the living room every weekend. It’s just not practical; we have 10-foot ceilings. Not that I haven’t thought about it, heh heh.
So, ladies and gents, I have some ideas:
- Sing in a choir. That would probably require joining a church -- yet another story for another day.
- Sewing, although I’m not sure I have the patience for it
- More card decorating
- Photography
- Learning the right way to mat and frame photos
- What else?
Side note -- Didn’t we have fun back in the day, making posters for Grandpa’s room and splatter-painting when Mom and Cindy weren’t looking?
3 comments:
Ashley, you have read my mind. Julie and I have been discussing potential hobbies. She, obviously, has a never ending supply of ideas, ranging from noodle-making to collecting antique Fenton glass vases. I have decided that I like the cool knobs at Anthropologie and want to create a furniture project with them. We also purused the cross country skis and snowshoe aisle the other day at REI.
Ever since college took the balance out of my life, I have been thinking of getting a hobby, but I feel for some reason that it has to have an actual point. Which may negate the point of having a hobby. Plus, half the time I feel like I will spend the money and then run out of time to actually follow through with the hobby. Hence my dilemma.
Speaking of my other dilemma, what am I going to do with my life for the next three years? My residency rank list is due the end of February and I still have no idea where I want to go. I am toying with having Mayo, U of Michigan, and U of Colorado in my top 3. The other day I spent an hour talking with a cardiology fellow at the UW who did residency at Mayo because apparently he and his best friend the chief resident at Mayo were having a BBQ cookout 2 weeks ago (in subzero temps???) and my name came up and he volunteered to be available to answer questions. I thought that that was super considerate. AH!
P.S. When Mom and I were down in Chapel Hill, it was freezing!!! Apparently it was only the second time in 3 years that they had gotten any snow whatsoever. Of course, this compared to -22 degrees Fahrenheit in Wisconsin. Why do I want to stay in a cold climate???
Mary, you read my mind. I also feel that a hobby must have a point, which contradicts the whole idea of a hobby. Boy, aren't we Type A personalities? ;)
Good luck with making your big decisions! It's gotta be tough, but I know you'll choose what's best for you.
A subzero barbecue?! Men ...
Post a Comment