Monday, September 29, 2008

surfing update

This will be a quickish post, because I'm at work (it's slow here), but I'm super proud of my progress on the board.

I've had 4 private lessons so far here (2 to go) and am capable of choosing a wave, knowing when to paddle, adjusting my body on the board for variability in the wave, standing, surfing suavely, and even walking forward on the board mid-wave.

This is one activity I'm definitely going to miss when I leave. At least I already have 2 coworkers who have offered their homes to stay whenever I want to come back. I'm pretty good friends with one of them. We go outrigger canoe paddling twice a week. It's fun, but tiring.

Yep. Another update later this week maybe, new topic.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Lucky you! I would love to learn how to surf. Definitely seems like my kind of thing, but it would be difficult to pursue that hobby in the Midwest. :)

Hayley said...

Perhaps I made a huge mistake, but I passed up the chance for learning to surf in Costa Rica, but that was because the waves weren't really optimal for proper technique. They would build up, but fizzle out shortly after. I can't be Kate Bosworth in Blue Crush with those kind of waves :)

I did do a lot of body boarding and boogie boarding though!

Mary said...

Hayley, are you coming to visit the end of October, too? I'd love to hear how your trip went!