Sunday, November 09, 2008

Hibernation season is here.

I put my garden to bed today. I cut most of the coneflowers, daylilies, phlox, and sedum to the ground, but I left a few seed heads for the birds to snack on. The ornamental grass looks really pretty with a dusting of snow, so that stayed, too. I also raked leaves and put away the deck furniture.

I was a huge slacker in the garden department this year, but this little yearly ritual made me feel better, like everything was coming full circle. In reality, this was one of my worst gardening years yet. All the tomatoes and peppers died -- meanwhile, Grandpa harvested 250 tomatoes from only two plants -- and my basil plant was rather sparse. By mid-June, I was already tired of battling our heavy clay soil and the neighbors' weeds that invade our yard every year. Dealing with the same problems every year aggravates me. So, I just stopped trying. I did the bare minimum to get by, but I did not lovingly tend to my plants like I usually do. Poor plants. (On the bright side, most of the flowers survived despite my neglect.)

It's hibernation season indoors, too. I'm cleaning, baking, burning candles, and wearing sweatpants most evenings. Even Blue senses winter is coming. He's been sleeping in the warmest corners of the house and begging for cuddles, a rare thing for him.

I'm a summer-lover at heart, but I do appreciate the ritual of preparing for winter. For now, until the winter malaise sets in, I'll savor my soft sweatpants, fuzzy blankets, hot soup, giant mugs of hot cocoa, and cuddly husband & cat.

P.S. Mary, how is your awesome loungewear treating you?

2 comments:

Julie said...

You're so fabulously domestic. I love cuddley coldness at times too.

What loungewear, Mary?

Mary said...

When we were shopping together at Cherry Creek, I got the softest, warmest pajama set from Gap Body. The pants are long enough even. It also came with tank top and a jacket over top with a furry-lined hood.

I heart Julie. (and everyone else on this blog!)