Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday in the garden

WARNING: Hayley and Lindsey, you will find this boring and should probably skip this post. ;)

I say this every year, but I was a bit behind on my spring gardening adventures so I spent a lovely Sunday catching up. I planted:
- 3 tomato plants - Early Girl (supposed to be ready in just 50 days!), an heirloom variety, and yellow cherry
- Basil - one established plant, plus seeds in a deck container
- Flowers - 12 marigolds, 6 wave petunias, 4 lantana, plus seeds of morning glory, zinnias, and alyssum.

Then I mulched four of the small beds, which required a trip to Menard's first. I'm still not done, though. The rosebushes in front need pruning, and the "big garden" in back is a weed pit right now. Plus, I'd like to add a few more deck containers. I'm hoping I can finish those projects during some weeknight.

I am TIRED! As much as I enjoy gardening, I think I have more beds than I can realistically handle -- especially since we spend so many weekends at the lake. I enjoy tending my small beds because they're filled with good dirt and are easy to fill and maintain. The big bed is a gardener's nightmare, though, because it's filled with this awful, heavy clay soil that covers the outlying areas of Lincoln. It's a gift (ha) from the previous owner, and it's still a semi-disaster after six years of mulching, composting, and adding topsoil. My rookie mistake was trying to make the best of it. In hindsight, I should've paid for dirt removal and started from scratch.

Oh well. I'm hoping it's not my problem next year. I've threatened to take a soil sample test kit to open houses so we don't buy another home that's plagued with crappy clay soil. ;)

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

was this really posted by andy? or was it ashley?

Mary said...

How is the search for the new house coming?

I also have planted flowers on my deck and added deck furniture, which I am quite excited about. Fortunately, my plants are still alive after a week.