Sunday, November 27, 2005


Happy Holidays, Andersons! I hope your Thanksgiving was a feast 'o plenty.

The cloudy, blustery, rainy weather put me in the holiday decorating mood. Despite declaring that he wanted nothing to do with decking the halls, Andy joined my decorating extravaganza. First, the $2 tree topper I bought during last year's clearance sales wouldn't stay on the tree because the topper was too top-heavy. Andy told me he would take care of it. Fifteen minutes and one power tool later, the star sat precariously on top of the tree.

After showing off his manly engineering skills, Andy went to the office, where he surfed weather.com and checked the progress of the impending snow storm. The real fun began when he returned to the living room to survey my progress. "The tree needs balls," he proclaimed. After finding the glass Christmas balls with other decorating rejects hidden in the guest room closet, Andy asked me whether I preferred the smaller ornaments or the larger ones.
Me: "I don't care. Whatever makes your holiday heart happy."
Him: "I like the big balls."

After a few minutes of helping Andy hang balls, I picked up two University of Nebraska ornaments.
Me: "Do we have to hang these?"
Him: "Hey, if we have to use your tacky shit, we have to use my tacky shit."
Fair enough.

Finally, it was time to hang our stockings. As I climbed onto a chair to reach the ledge, this conversation took place:
Andy: "STOP! You're taking Holiday Andy's job!"
Me: "I am?"
Andy: "Anything involving climbing is Holiday Andy's job!"

I'm making a mental note of that.

3 comments:

Andy said...

I have been misquoted. Mrs. Washburn, you will be hearing from my lawyer.

Ashley said...

Sorry dude, you did say that you liked big balls (in the context of ornaments, of course).

Lindsey said...

You two are hilarious!