Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I'm still alive! I survived my very first real interview without tripping on my new heels, getting extremely nervous, or doing anything else totally embarrassing, and I'm not gonna lie, I looked really cute in my brand new business suit. I did my makeup very nicely: not really noticeable, just enough to accentuate my eyes. And if it turns out it was a total flop, at least the lady really liked my shoes!

I also visited Wesleyan today, which was quite enjoyable. However, now I'm totally confused and have about a million decisions to make (I know, I know, Ashley and Andy, you want me to go to Wesleyan). No pressure at all, right? Wrong. But oh well for now. I'm just going to bask in all the happiness I'm feeling at this moment. La dee dah. Happy days!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm so happy your interview went well! Never underestimate the power of an adorable pair of shoes or nice clothing when your interviewer is a woman. Funny, but true. ;) I remember the interview I had for my first internship. My interviewer spent the first 5 minutes asking about where I shopped because she liked my suit. Then she hired me on the spot after asking me the real questions.

Linzo, I'll admit that I have a slight bias toward Wesleyan because it's in Lincoln and I became pretty familiar with it when Bradley went there. However, let me reiterate that Andy and I want you to go wherever you'll be happiest. Both offer excellent teaching programs, so I suppose it's the other perks that'll help you make your decision.

The good news about being torn between two schools is that you really can't go wrong with your decision. You can feel good knowing that you'd probably thrive at either school.

That's my wisdom for the day.

Andy said...

If you're looking for the one distinguishing sign to go to one spot over the other, it'll never happen. I kept waiting for the big sign that I should go to UNL over Hastings, or Wesleyan or wherever. It never happened.

The best advise I can give you is to eliminate all of the other factors (where your friends are going, where you enemies are going, where Chip is going, money prettyness of campus) and focus solely on two factors that will ultimately lead to college happiness.

The first is to look at which professors and which acedemic program is better for what you want to do. Since both Wesleyan and Doane are good for colleges for teaching, look at the professors -- are they peopel you like? Are they dedicated to helping you in and out of the classroom?

The other is a gut feeling of where you feel more at home. Which gives you a better sense of community, support, friendship. Yadda yadda yadda.

So when decision time comes, lock yourself in your room with soem godo tunes. Meditate, pray, relax. Whatever. And the answer will come.

But you are lucky. Either way -- you can't go wrong.

Lindsey said...

Ashley and Andy, thank you both very much for the advice. I know you'll both support me no matter what my decision is.