Deep thoughts:
So I got on MySpace last week and hooked up with a bunch of old high school friends I haven’t seen in like 9 or 10 years. Long story short, maybe its my connection back with them, marrying off all of our friends this summer, or just that I am feeling philosophical, but I started thinking about “the next step.”
Yeah, life is all about looking off into that great abyss and trying to figure out the next step. See, that was blatantly stolen from a movie called Garden State, but where I am going is all from my own head.
What I am really thinking about these days is comfort. Hear me out. Five years out of college, ten years out of school is an easy time to be comfortable. Comfortable with routine, habits, being in the real world, whatever your next step holds.
But I am starting to wonder if people get too comfortable. See, it’s easy at this point in your life to turn your back on things because you are comfortable. Forgetting your roots, ditching some of your friends, putting your faith on the back burner – all because this thing we called “life” is going well.
Well, think about what happens when you are in a really comfortable spot for too long. Something like your leg or arm falls asleep and gets all numb and tingly. And when you try and do something immediately after, it is painful pins and needles, and you can’t walk well or really use the limb.
What I am getting at is that it is easy to get comfortable in life and routines. So shake it up – it is Ok to be comfortable with things, but make sure you are adjusting and still doing something other than be comfortable, or you may start to get numb. And nobody wants to be numb. It sneaks up on you because you don’t really realize that your arm is asleep until you try to move around.
So either this metaphor is spot on and brilliant, or I lost you around the second paragraph. Either way, keep your eyes open and look for the next step.
Thursday, June 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Andy, you are one smart man.
I was thinking about just that sort of thing on my trip (p.s. I'm BACK!) A lot of issues were faced head-on. And my friend and I involved ourselves entirely in those thoughts, a couple times leading us to tears and hugs just to "comfort" ourselves enough to grasp what we were realizing.
I wouldn't say smart -- I reserve that for girls that nearly ace their ACT and can spell well. I can do neither. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Julie -- welcome to the quarter-life crisis most folks have right at your age. Its a wonderful time of discovery that sucks to go through, but you come out the other end much better. Just like Junior High...
Yay, Julie is back!
Being in your early twenties can really, really suck. There's lots of confusion, uncertainty, and second-guessing. If it makes you feel better, my 25th birthday was a turning point. I still feel a little nutty some days, but I feel more peaceful than I did even a year or two ago.
If there's anything I've learned in the past few years, it's that life is constantly changing. You'll probably never get to a point where everything in your life is perfect. The challenge is identifying what you can change to make your life better and what things you need to accept and deal with.
I'm probably the only person on this blog that listens to country, but bear with me for a moment. One of my favorite quotes comes from a newer country song: "Life isn't always beautiful ... but what a beautiful ride."
I changed the ain't to isn't to make it more bearable for the haters. ;)
Post a Comment