Our friend Dara is pregnant. She and her husband, Joe, will welcome their first child just in time for their third wedding anniversary in December.
I am upset about this, but not for the reasons that probably come to mind.
I found out from a mutual friend (Erin) whose husband (Chris) found some comments on Joe's Myspace page that alluded to Dara's pregnancy. So Chris text-messaged Joe (great, an even less personal way to communicate) to confirm whether it was true, and Joe replied yes. Then Erin called me at work to break the news.
I think we can agree that huge announcements like engagements and pregnancies should not be made on Facebook or Myspace. If Joe and Dara were casual friends, it wouldn't be a huge deal. But we're close friends--Andy and I were in their wedding party--so finding out this way was really disappointing. It's hard to feel the joy and emotion that typically accompanies such an announcement when you're on the phone with a different friend going, "Why did we find out this way?"
Interestingly, the couple isn't to blame. Apparently Joe and Dara told their parents and siblings first. Totally understandable. Then, the siblings spoiled the surprise by posting comments on Joe's Myspace page about being excited for the baaaaabyyyy. Andy suspects that Joe and Dara were planning to tell everyone when they visit Nebraska in a few weeks, but surprise! There is no surprise! Knowing Dara, she is going to be livid. I would be, too.
Consider this a warning: When it's baby time, Andy and I probably will tell family (a.k.a., you guys) first. And if one of you ever pulls a stunt like this, my fat pregnant ass will be kicking yours.
That's all.
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh my goodness. First, the thought of your hot pregnant ass kicking me is frightening enough to make me never make a stupid move like that. Oh wait, I wouldn't anyway.
Along these lines, I found out that my classmate, Brittany Klute, had her baby last week through FACEBOOK. And poor Brittany because her friend who went to the hospital posed pictures, and no one should have post-baby pictures taken until they've had time to do some hair and makeup. Yikes!
Facebook has pissed me off the last six months and yet I'm still addicted. I promise never to reveal personal things on there. And in the event that I EVER get a boyfriend, it won't be pasting that all over the web either.
Post a Comment