I've been punished for Facebook stalking.
Sometimes I hate that it's this stupid maze that reminds you that you're still connected to people you haven't thought about in 10 years.
My News Feed announced today that my high school friend Ryan added pictures. Curious, I clicked on Ryan's profile. Then I saw his cousin Jill, one of our classmates, had written on his wall. Even though I've thought of Jill probably three times since graduation, my curiosity got the best of me and I clicked on her profile. Then I got even more curious and clicked on her Centennial High School '98 link. Lo and behold, Jill's twin, Michelle, Jeremy, Shauna, Kiley, Carolyn, Kirk and a bunch of other random folks are Jill's "friends."
My reaction? THOSE BASTARDS! Surely they can see I'm on Facebook, why didn't they add ME? I WENT TO SCHOOL WITH YOU, TOO, YOU KNOW! I know, I know. I am being ridiculous. I didn't even like those people, but seeing that my classmates are friends with each other but not with me stirs up all those stupid feelings of not fitting in with them and every single goddamnthingifuckinghatedaboutthatplace. It's junk I haven't thought about in ages.
I could add them as friends, but why? To pad my friends list? I hadn't thought of them until now, and I'm sure they've forgotten me. I don't want their friendship, so why give them a glimpse into what my life is like now? (Thank you, privacy settings.) I don't know how you young'uns handle the Facebook thing. Do you find that it makes it impossible to untangle yourself from parts of the past you'd rather forget?
Thursday, November 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i used to think exactly like that, and even added some of those friends. then when i realized these people really haven't grown up to my standards (by noting wall postings, etc.) and ended up removing them.
Ashley, you have new friends now!.. people who you actually have things in common with. I'm betting you're happier with them than if you'd wasted all your time keeping up with old high school "pals."
Oh yeah, I totally agree. I really don't think about H.S. all that much; it was just strange to see. And I have no desire for a reunion.
Post a Comment