Friday, January 04, 2008

An Update From Lincoln

Friday evening musings, while at home with a sick wife.

Well, we survived 2007. Barely.

I am graduated and Ashley has finally escaped the evil clutches of the Engineering college.
But such a long, bad, stressful year was certain to have a hang-over of sorts.

Ash got mono. Yup, mono. So, her long anticipated start at a new employer will have to be delayed slightly. She tried to go in on her first day and they sent her home at noon. Since then, her days have consisted for sleeping, reading and cuddling with the cat. Once this passes, 2008 is settng up to be swell.

Since my studies have completed, I've kept busy. Caring for an ill wife has taken some time, but allowed me to catch up on mundane chores such as budgeting and checkbook balancing or de-fragmenting our hard drives and putting away holiday decorations. I've spent a bit of time with the new guitar and have picked up some things. I have most major chords down and can pick out a few tunes. I have new respect for Dave Matthews, Colin Hay John Mayer, Ben Folds, Pearl Jam and Counting Crows. Even though I have heard those songs thousands of times, I am hearing these songs much differently and am falling in love with them all over again. Kindof a cool experience. As a stark contrast to a teenager learning saxophone, I am actually enjoying practicing. Though if I could play Pearl Jam on the sax, I might enjoy it more.

I'm starting my running routine soon. I turn 30 in 6 months and 3 days and one of my post-graduation goals is to get into the best shape of my life by the time I'm 30. Now, I've never been really in shape, and I've never been that far out of shape really this this may not take much of an accomplishment. But I do have some goals to work for. I want to try and run a mile non-stop without rest by the end of March and if I don't hate myself by then maybe get more ambitious and try a 5K. We'll see. There is a facebook application called runalicous that will track my progress. When the weather warms a bit, we get started -- or head to the rec center.

I'm actually feeling pretty good today. After flirting with the Wisconsin Alumni Associaiton, I got a call from Illinois today. My counterpart there retires in 3 years and he wanted to let me know he has to find a person to take over for him in the next two years that would spend a final year under him before taking over a vice presidency job. I'm not really looking, but it is nice to know that he thought of me and if things turn sour in this transition period at the NAA, I have options out there.

I also talked to my former boss today (the one who was forced to retire). Good to hear from him and know that he still thought well of me. He's a good mentor and I miss him quite a bit sometimes.

It is difficult to type with all your fingertips on the left hand numb from guitar practice.

Oh yeah....the Asian markets. Still holding up OK, and Pacific and European markets are solid with the credit crunch and rising fuel costs. Tat may slow down China a bit, but we'll see. I'd stick to consumer staples like P&G, look at Oil Refineres and rail transportation in this market.

We should get Cole bloging now that we knwo he has internet and much free tiem out in Kearney. Though I hear rumors or scattered dates.

So Ashley got Mono from our dearest Hayley. I figure it is karma for the flu sickness I passed to Hayley last Christmas that took 7 lbs off of me, and sidelined her for a couple days. It is no secret Hayley and one of my male friends have been in communication for awhile, and I'm staying out of it (though given complete blessing). Though if my pal comes down with Mono, I may have to give Hayley a hard time or perhaps question Ashley's fidelity. :)

Download now: The Wanderer by Marc Broussard and Six Feet Under the Stars by All Time Low. I may have already mentioned Six Feet Under the Stars as a lot of this fall is a blur. If so my apologies, but there is a line about State Street in there that reminds me of Madison.

I got to touch the Stanley Cup. Pictures to soon follow.

Mary, best of luck with the upcoming interviews and travels. When you have a finalist list assembled, I can give you all sorts of info that is not in the brochure on quite a few campuses.

That's all for now. Night all. And happy new year.

1 comment:

Julie said...

i wasn't aware you were learning the guitar! was it a christmas gift? how exciting either way!.. is it being self-taught or have you been taking some lessons? acoustic or electric?

sadly, i haven't attempted my acoustic in a little while. too many hobbies, me thinks.