Friday, June 27, 2008

Friday musings

It’s Friday afternoon and I’m miraculously caught up on my projects for the week; therefore, I can justify blogging in the middle of the afternoon. : )

I fell in love with San Diego last week. I went there to be the “face of UNL” at a biotechnology trade show – scary thought, huh? Anyhoo, every day I ate breakfast at a restaurant overlooking the San Diego Bay and even made it to Coronado Island and the Pacific Ocean twice. I taught my coworker Joel how to boogie board. Being in open water feeds my soul like few things do. I wish it were easier to catch a wave in the Midwest.

We’re spending four of the next seven days at the lake (yay for three-day holiday weekends). I won’t be able to boogie board, but my father-in-law has the pontoon boat up and running. Aces. As Hayley says, pontoon boats are the new yacht! I think that’s a lot of wishful thinking on her part.

As Paul pointed out, we liberals love to watch our carbon footprint. To reduce our gas consumption and get in shape, Andy has been biking to work at least three days a week. I think I have enough endurance to do the same, but I’m concerned about being a hot, sweaty mess by the time I arrive at the office. Who wants to sit next to the smelly girl in a meeting?

I’ve dedicated this summer to eating better and getting into shape. Slowly but surely, I’m changing my lifestyle, but I haven’t totally eliminated my cravings for ice cream and naughty summer treats.

I love Pandora Internet radio. Plug in a few of your favorite songs, and Pandora magically predicts your musical tastes. This afternoon, my radio station consists of U2, Counting Crows, Coldplay, John Mayer, the Fray, and Snow Patrol. Rock on. (Or rather, mellow out.)

Mary, we’re invading Denver in mid-July next year. We looked into getting tickets for the Mile High Music Festival on our anniversary, but Andy gets back from a conference the day before it starts and we can’t get our travel schedules to work out. So, we’ll do that next year.

Andy turns 30 on July 7 and we're celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary in less than a month. When did we become full-fledged adults, and how do we make it stop?

In all honesty, life is pretty damn great right now, even if it does require acting like a grownup. ;)

Julie, how are your rotations going? I miss hearing from you!

No comments: