The fine folks on the Runner's World message boards warned me that once I finished my race, I'd have the itch to compete again.Well, they're right. Five minutes after I finished my race on Saturday, I told Andy that I'd had so much fun that I couldn't wait to try another one. My final time was 32:42. That put me in the bottom half of my age group, but considering the relatively short amount of time I've been training, I'm really happy. Now I have a time to beat.
I was worried about my adrenaline getting the best of me and starting out too fast. I think I overcompensated almost too much and ran the first mile at the tail end of the pack. I picked up my pace significantly around 1.5 miles and cruised the rest of the way. I was super proud of my performance in mile 2. That part of the course had a steep hill. The hill training I'd done in the 2-3 weeks prior to the race really helped. I actually passed three people on the HILL! That was a huge psychological boost going into the final stretch.
Andy took some nice photos. They're on my Facebook page, if you're interested.
Other stats:
Weather: 30 degrees, with a light breeze and a few flurries.
Number of runners: 50-75, maybe? I'm glad I chose a small race for my first one.
Swag: A cute Turkey Trot t-shirt and a water bottle.
What's next: Replacing my shoes, for sure. More strength training. I'll also start increasing my distance to improve my conditioning. AND I'm recruiting Hayley to run the next one with me. :)
5 comments:
ashley, i'm SO happy for you i can hardly express it. i've been considering starting 5k runs, probably when i get to denver after graduation, but you make me want to start NOW... in the most impractical weather conditions.
I'm so there my dear!
Awesome, Hayley. I'm looking forward to you kicking my butt. :)
Thank you for your kind words, Julie. I wish I could give you some sage advice about winter training, but I can't. I'm getting a rec center membership this week so I can start running indoors. As you're aware, cold weather is the least of a runner's issues during the winter months. I've been running in the dark ever since daylight's savings time ended -- kinda risky, but I stay in well-lit, high-traffic areas and make sure Andy knows my route.
We haven't had snow or ice yet, but I know it'll arrive shortly after Thanksgiving. All the more reason to suck it up and buy a membership, I suppose.
Ashley, if I may suggest something to you while you purchase your rec membership I really recommend for you to try out a pilates class. They are great because not only does it help to relax me, it is a great way in add some strength training to your routine. During my class we do ball work, weights, bands, and our own body strength all to Norah Jones and John Mayor music. What more could you want?! It's also a great way to strengthen your core. You won't believe the results you get! I've lost an inch from my hips, waist, and bust in just six weeks, plus it gives you a great toned look.
Just think about it :)
I will consider it. Losing an inch from the waist and hips sounds good. The bust, not so much.
grr.
Post a Comment