My fellow bloggers, I have the MOST interesting first date story you'll ever hear....or at least the most interesting one you've heard so far. I thought that I'd experienced all the first dates ever. There was the blind date to the Seward High School prom with a socially inept Irish man (which landed me at home in tears at 10:00 on that Saturday night), then there are they typical awkward dates where you're trying-to-like-each-other-so-much-that-we-have-pasted-smiles-and-fake-laughs-to-boot, and lastly those very few that when you get home you think to yourself, "Wow, that was pretty painless. In fact I think I just had a GOOD first date." I don't know about you guys, but good first dates are hard to come by. And now you will learn how I crashed into my most eventful first date.
My friend Jay and I have known each other since last year. We've been hanging out more this semester, but mainly in a group setting, so when he Facebooked me that we should hang out I figure I'll be one of seven in attendance. Well when I called him about our plans he told me I could pick out my favorite movie that is playing at Starship (the $2 theatre in Lincoln.) I picked Elizabethtown, which he said he would love to see. I met him at his house and found that we were the only ones going (could it be a date? Wait and see!) As we get into his Honda Civic, camera in hand, he decideds that he would like to take me out in his "nice" car. I agree of course. You don't mess with guys and their vehicles. So his other car is red with T-tops (yes that's all I know. This will come in handy later in the story, so don't forget that I'm car stupid and didn't know what kind it was.) We drove to the movie and got found our seats at the theatre. The movie was REALLY good and we had fun talking too. As we were leaving he was telling me about all the parking tickets he's gotten in his life. Then he told me how many traffic tickets he's got (42!) This really didn't bother me because I knew that most of them were minor details. So as we were driving back he was kind of showing off with his manly power with the gas petal and he laughed. I asked him why and he told me that I had a scared look on my face. I then add saucily, "I don't get scared!" HA. Well about five blocks later we hit some ice and began to fishtail. I was scared then let me tell you. Jay couldn't get control of his little red car so the back end flew around and the car jumped the curb and hit a tree. I kid you not. The tree hit right on my door, so the top part of the door bent in and hit me in the head. The side of the door came in pushing my right knee into the inside of my left and my feet got stuck. (This really is tragic and they told me that I'm lucky to be alive, but I have to add my own humor to make it all better. I thought I should warn you since you're probably gasping OH MY GOSH!!!) Well immediately Jay asks if I'm okay. I figure if I'm still breathing, I'm okay! Well I then was scared because I was stuck and couldn't get out of the car. I didn't want the Jaws of Life to get ahold of me!
Somehow, probably adrenaline-induced, I managed to slip out of my shoes and crawl out Jay's driver side door. By then the cops are there and are telling me that they're calling an ambulance. I'm like, oh super so now I can't go back and study. This really shouldn't have been on my mind, but hello I'm a stressed college student. So they put me in the ambulance and put me on a backboard with a neck brace and they asked if me and my boyfriend had been fighting or if there was any anger involved. I said he's not my boyfriend, and no we didn't fight. They then proceeded to put an IV in. 10 stabs later they told me I had crazy veins and said they wouln't poke me anymore. Thank goodness! I'm already in enough pain right?
When I got to the hospital I got x-rays because I had head pain (duh), left shoulder pain, left knee pain, and chest/side pain. So I think I got about 12 x-rays and one CAT scan by 1:00. I then was crying because I didn't want dad to kill Jay (he really is a nice boy with good intentions) and I hadn't called anyone yet, because I didn't know who I should call. But then I got back to room 26 in the ER and saw Jay sitting there. He told me he talked to my friend Sarah and told me that his parents were praying for me. How nice! Then he asked if I wanted to call mom and dad. I was like "Unless you want an ear-full from my dad right now, I don't think so." Finally, they told me that the x-rays looked good but that I was badly bruised. Super! My roommate and four guy friends all came to the hospital so I felt better.
Anyway yesterday I called my parents and all my dad said once he found out that I was not going to die, he started asking if we were friends and was all oooo-lala. I was like, "DAD, are you kidding me? So then I told him that yes, Jay, is a nice boy." So just to update you, my shoulder and knee hurt real bad and I hobble around, but you know what....I'll be just super! In fact, Jay brought me fresh baked cookies, flowers, and a card and a couple of my other guy friends gave me flowers and a card. I feel so special! So I thank God that I'm alive and will be well, and I also will more than likely be going on a second date with Jay; however, I think we should take bikes instead!
Thursday, December 15, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
you're right, hayley, my drama doesn't quite compare you yours.... WOW!
Hayley, only you could find the humor in this situation. I love you for that. When Dad told me about your accident I was really scared. I am so very happy you are okay because I don't know what I'd do without you. Jay sounds sweet...flowers, cookies, and a card...what a catch! I love you, sister!
Excuse the language, but HOLY SHIT! I am amazed you're finding the humor in this situation because I SO AM NOT! I'm very glad you're okay. This is super scary! :( If you ever run into trouble again (though hopefully not literally), please call us! (Although Andy would probably tear into the guy like Dad would, so .... hmm.)
A few more things:
I hope Jay learned his lesson and will no longer do stupid tricks with his car.
Mary, I've said this before, but I really believe you could pay off your med school bills if you specialized in treating your family members.
Call us anytime you have issues and don't want to call the parentals. I won't go into attack dog mode unless you and Ash give me clearance first.
That goes for youtoo Lindzo.
Man, I'm glad you're okay, Hayley!
Post a Comment