Wednesday, February 15, 2006

As you all, and the rest of the world know, yesterday was a lame ‘Hallmark-Induced’ holiday. Yes, that’s right it was Valentine’s Day. Now don’t worry I’m not going to get cynical about how love sucks and those in love should have all of the chocolate hearts and flowers thrown at them. I can’t do this because love really is a beautiful thing. And ironic enough I actually had a boyfriend this year. Don’t get mad if you didn’t know about this boyfriend because you will find out shortly that it worked out just about as well as Michael Jackson’s plastic surgery.

I began dating Andy a couple weeks ago after knowing him, or so I thought, since the beginning of this year. He’s a freshman and lives in my dorm. (Note to self: convenience and younger men don’t mix well!) I liked that he was really into baseball and that he appreciated my uniqueness.

Right after we were officially together I began to feel the pressures of this semester. My classes are tough and all of my clubs are in full swing. Matters weren’t helped when grandma landed in the hospital of course too. So perhaps when I told him “Yes I’ll date you exclusive” I was a bit unbalanced (Ashley and Lindsey should like that part) due to stress and the fact that a halfway normal guy was paying attention to more than my looks. In short, I didn’t have much time left to spend with Andy after classes, meetings, and daily visits to see grandma. Apparently that didn’t fly so well with him.

A couple nights ago I missed some of his phone calls and hadn’t been around when he came by to visit. When I finally called him back I asked if he wanted to hang out after I studied for my quiz. He responded by saying, “Maybe. We’ll see if I have time.” (Oh no he didn’t!) So just as coldly as he said that to me I said, “Find. Then I’m going to study.” When he came by later he acted like he wasn’t being an inconsiderate jerk earlier. So I told him, “Well, I know you’re pissed at me for not spending time with you but my grandma’s in the hospital, I’m trying to pass classes to get into nursing school, plan my future, and not go insane, so if you can understand that it would be great.” Okay, so maybe I was a little nicer about it, but that comment is fairly accurate. He then Facebooked me later that night and said that he totally understands and how he needs to be more considerate. So then I thought okay maybe he is more mature than I thought. WRONG! Since then he’s given me three roses (on Monday, no not Valentine’s day) another hate/mad message and no phone call on Valentine’s day. Sorry but this guy is outta here! How’s that for a little baseball terminology? Yeah, I hope he likes that.

It was good for me to give it a try in a relationship, but I think that 20 years of single life (which is something that I do NOT regret) and 20 years of watching my friends in good, but mostly bad relationships, helped me out. I know that Andy can’t handle being supportive so I’ll take my wisdom and dump the schmuck because I refuse to date someone I don’t like!

P.S. The guy that ran me into a tree is dating a girl that snuck into the picture in a very sly, sneaky way that only certain people can pull off. Oh, but I’m not bitter.

2 comments:

Julie said...

ohhh hayley!!!... we need girl time so i can give you a hug and say that life is still wonderful and there are amazing guys still out there and in the end you're still going to get married and have a kickin' awesome dancing reception. until then, i'm so proud you set priorities on studies because at least with that you know you get out of it what you put in. and thanks so much for the facebook message yesterday!

Ashley said...

Schnooky, I'm so sad things didn't work out with the boy. It would've been cool to have two Andy's around. You did the right thing, though. I'm glad you know how to evaluate a boy based on his actions and attitude, not just on the words he says. Talk is cheap, but baby, time is expensive.