I learned a new word today, courtesy of the Washington Post: idolspize.
To “idolspize” means to admire, yet secretly despise, a person. The people we idolspize often have the same major or occupation, belong to our social circle, and lead lives as mundane as our own. Yet, because of their beauty, talent, or luck, we can’t control the green-eyed monster inside us when they’re around.
Why? Because the person you idolspize is just like you, but better.
Meet Michelle. Michelle and I are both 25 and graduated from UNL in 2002. I have a degree in journalism; she has bachelor’s degrees in English and political science. After college, I spent three years working my tail off to understand Nebraska laws and politics. She was brilliant enough to land a job in Washington, D.C., with a congressman who is a legit contender for president in 2008. After working for him, she earned a master’s degree in comparative politics from Canada’s most prestigious liberal arts school. She graduated with honors both times.
People with journalism degrees think English majors are second-rate writers. When Michelle asked to meet with me to discuss a project I was working on, I was feeling smug until I listened to her ideas. Then I was embarrassed I hadn’t thought of them myself.
Although she’s young, Michelle commands respect. She’s confident enough to tell a difficult professor, “No, we’re going to do it my way,” and they listen. I’m tall, but she’s 6’0” barefoot, and still wears 3-inch heels. She finds funky ways to wear normal clothing and manages to look like a fashion icon; I’d pay good money for a fashion coach. Her favorite book is Pride and Prejudice; I’ve started it five times and have never read beyond Chapter 3.
Could I realize my potential (i.e. be more like her) if I worked harder, got a master’s degree and read the classics instead of The Nanny Diaries?
The idolspize concept makes sense to me. I don’t know anyone who is truly jealous of a celebrity. But I every woman I know is jealous of someone in her class, her volunteer group, her church, or even one of her friends. How do we handle spending time with someone whose fabulousness reminds us of our shortcomings?
I think the answer lies somewhere between self-improvement and self-acceptance. In my case, I need to become more confident and assertive, especially at work. I need to accept that I will never have slim thighs or be the person in the room to whom everyone gravitates.
What do you think? Who do you idolspize?
Read the original article at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wpdyn/content/article/2006/02/21/AR2006022101862.html
Wednesday, February 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Schnookums, I do believe that we do all idolspize someone. Everywhere I go I constantly see people that I wish I'd be more like. It's around us everywhere. But here's what I've learned. Maybe if we learn to love and accept ourselves more, we won't see as much jealousy, but appreciate that we are different and even if someone's shortcomings may not be as apparent, they also idolspize someone. Who knows, maybe Michelle secretly idolspizes you? Just a little thought!
Wow. Thanks for the word - now I know what to call those feelings (idolspizing?). Take today for example... I took an exam that can only be described as a living version of death, yet despite all my studying I still knew so much less than many of my classmates (ones with jobs, relationships, and impressive party skills even).
I am giving everyone a hug right now.
Yep, Hayley, you got it right. Everyone idolspizes someone.
Really, I'm not a crazy psycho and I don't spend a lot of time thinking about the person I idolspize. But once in awhile (especially on a bad day), it gets to me, y'know?
Julie, the line "impressive party skills" made me laugh.
Here's the next question: do men idolspize?
Girls are strange. The whole mean girls thing, now idolsplizing???
I don't really think guys do this too much after puberty. Guys are less concerned with comparative results, and more concerned with personal results.
Yeah, I got a buddy making a little mroe than me only two yeas out of college as opposed to my five, but I'm cool with it, cuz I think I'm doing pretty damn well.
I guess I stopped idolspizing after a conversation with my buddy Aaron back in High School. If you are always worried about keeping up with the Joneses, you will always be a step behind. Unless you are Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, there will always be someone smarter, richer, better looking, etc in your known social and career network. And you will never, ever be satisfied.
So instead of using comparative judging to rate your own self-worth, set goals and make your happiness based on acheiving those goals.
Otherwise you will never be happy.
Then again, that's all easy for me to say, since I am a pretty big deal and king shit, ya know. KIDDING.
I have incited controversy. Yay!
Here's the thing, Andy: Idolspizing isn't really about keeping up with the Joneses, or wanting what other people have. It's wanting to achieve your personal best. When I see a peer doing better than I am, it makes me wonder whether I'm doing everything I can to live up to my potential. I'm a competitive person. If someone is in my profession but is doing better than me, I want to figure out what I need to do to improve. If jealousy can motivate someone to improve themselves ... well, talk about doing something positive with a negative emotion. If a professional athlete is engages in "idolspizing," we praise them for being competitive and tough. It's really the same thing for us normal folks, only on a smaller level.
Sure, I'd like to dress like this chick and be 6 feet tall. But that's really secondary to just wanting to be successful. If I'm trying my hardest and still fall short, fine. I can accept that because I know I've tried my best. But if I'm wasting my abilities, that's unacceptable.
Comments?
I think I get your point, now. I just don't think you get mine.
Sure, it may not be "keeping up with the joneses" at first glance, but if you are using another person's success or look or anything to drive your self, it is to a degree exactly that. There will always be someone better to idolsplize.
What I am saying is that from a guy's point of view (at least a guys point of view), we don't really fixate on an individual like that.
We don't walk aroudn the mall and constantly compare ourselves to what we see. I don't check out guys I work with and wish I dressed like them. I don't want to work like anybody else in my building -- sometimes I want them to think or work a little mroe liek me. I don't play basketball and yearn to have a jumpshot like one of the guys I am with.
There will always be a person better than you at something to drive you if constant comparison is what drives you.
Yet, you asked if guys do this. And my answer is that maybe some do at soem age, but I don't think most guys really do this overall.
Most guys don't set their standards on colleague to drive them.
I want to do X, Y and Z -- not because I want to be better than a friend or colleague -- but because I want to acheive X, Y and Z. If my colleague gets there first, good for them. But it doesnt' effect my drive because I already have my eye on the ball.
I'll concede that it may drive urgency in some instances, but overall, guys set themselves internally.
Wow, this is all very deep stuff. I can definitely see where you're coming from, though. And I definitely think Andy is right. Girls are probably more likely to do this than guys. That's just one of those things about us.
Dear Husband,
Others' accomplishments don't ever motivate men? I don't buy that. You're the least jealous person I know, and I know you're incapable of idolspizing. It's just not in your nature. But you're more evolved than the rest of the male species. I'm pretty sure that most guys idolspize at some level, but not to the extent women do.
I agree that it's a bad idea to be solely motivated by others. That's how I was in college, and you're well aware of how miserable that mindset made me. I'm still not 100% past that, but I do this much less now than I did when I was 20 or 21.
With that said, I still believe that if admiring a successful person can give me the extra kick in the pants I need to motivate myself a bit more, it's not the worst thing in the world. The key is not letting it get in the way *too* much.
Maybe guys really are more internally motivated. Or, maybe guys express their competitive desires differently. My theory is that guys generally feel more comfortable being aggressive around each other and competing with each other directly than women do. Thus, we resort to passive-aggressive techniques like idolspizing.
At any rate, this has been a fascinating debate. Thank you for allowing me to put my sociology minor to use.
Signed,
Dear Wife
There will always be someone more gifted out there. Just accept it and try to do the best that you can. I read Pride and Prejudice in my senior year of high school and the book is a load of crap. And tell Michelle that her congressman isn't a legit contender for 2008 unless he's an elephant ;)
Oh Paul, if only I could have you around more often with comments like that! By the way, good job changing the subject at the end. I guess it's the Republican in you.
If being a guy means that you deal with shortcomings in such a positive, self-assertive way, then I wish I was more like a guy. Oh wait, that's just silly!
wow -- longest comment thread ever. And Paul even chimed in.
As I think more about this, my male friends that seem to have more feminine characteristcs are more likely to idolspize. You know the two or three that I'm thinking. I won't name names.
But the manly men I know don't seem to idolspize as much. What say you of that sociology minor?
I'm a huge fan of Pride and Prejudice. It's gotten probably four reads from me... and I laugh out loud more each time.
Good God, am I the only person who doesn't like Pridge and Prejudice?!
No worries, Paul. She worked for a Republican. Even Nebraska's one Democrat in Congress is practically a Republican.
oh wow. meant to type pride. not pridge. 'twas getting ahead of myself.
Post a Comment