Andy is out of town this week, so Monday musings are on hiatus. His absence means:
- I’m eating strange meals and watching Friends during supper.
- I’ve watched The Devil Wears Prada and two Sex and the City episodes … and it’s only Tuesday morning. :)
- I’m taking the final step in the lengthy process of transforming the hallway bathroom from Homage to the Early ‘90s to modern chic: painting the vanity and medicine cabinet white. So far, I’ve sanded everything, removed the doors and hinges, and put on the first coat of primer.
- Unfinished projects make me uneasy, especially in areas that are supposed to be my sanctuary, so I moved my grooming products into Andy’s bathroom for a few days. His shower, which normally contains a bar of Irish Spring, a bottle of shampoo, and a body wash (for really special occasions), is now littered with potions that have names like mango mandarin, raspberry almond, and green tea & ginger. Heh. It’s funny to see signs of femininity in a room that’s decidedly male.
- I’ve been journaling a lot. It’s good for my mental health; I need to do this more often.
I miss Andy. But once in awhile, it’s good to remind myself that I’m capable of unhinging doors and using power tools without help. And sometimes, it’s good for a couple to spend a week or two apart. The separation tends to make you feel like you’re falling in love all over again. The absence of our daily routine makes me appreciate our little rituals even more. To an outsider, I’m sure they seem boring and mundane. But to us, they’re evidence of the life we’ve chosen together. That’s your awwwww moment of the day.
Besides, I’m sure Andy is looking forward to nightly burrito and fish buffets when I’m in Nashville later this month.
Tuesday, July 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Schnookie that's really cute! I'm also really proud, you know how to operate a power tool? Dude, I totally want to learn how. Yesterday I had orientation at Madonna because that's the soonest I could do it since I've been hired, and some great eye candy sat next to me. It made the eight hour bore much more manageable.
I'm proud that you know how to survive without dearest Andy. It goes to show that you are a complete person with and without him. Hopefully he's having fun...and I want to watch Sex in the City so if you need company call me over!
I started journaling hard core this summer. It began in Europe because of the need for constant reflection and now I'm addicted! Any spare moment while working, the girls know I gravitate toward my little notebook.
I'm glad to hear someone else has been sucked in. ;)
Crazy! I've begun to journal too. Okay so it just started the other night when I was really upset and didn't want to bother anyone with a phone call, which by the way I need to stop doing. I mean I should call. But some of it was just thoughts and reflections so that was nice to get them out. Yeah for writing skills!
Ooh, it's fun to find fellow journalers. I have a stupid question: Do you ever worry about people finding it? I mean, Andy knows that he should never, ever look at my journal because I tend to use it most when I'm unhappy or working through something. It's really a reflection of how I'm feeling at a given moment and is usually a bunch of emotional throw-up that I'd be uncomfortable with anyone knowing about.
Should I hide it? That feels so third-grade, but I don't want Mom to read it if I died tragically and she had to help Andy get rid of my stuff. Really, I'm not trying to be morbid, but I worry about these things. :)
LOL, no that's not a weird fear. I was thinking the same thing. Except that mine is currently on my computer and not well hid so it could be open to anyone. I guess I hope that they won't violate my personal space. However, this isn't the best guarantee so perhaps you should hide it. I don't know!
I worry as well. But if you play if off like it's not a big deal (I tell the girls I nanny that I'm making to-do lists... which I honestly do sometimes) no one should want to waste time openning it. But when mine's full I'm likely to lock it up somewhere, and burn it after a year or so has passed. Thoughts are precious. You have to watch out for them.
"Thoughts are precious. You have to watch out for them."
I think that's the quote of the month. :)
The summers after my freshman and sophomore years I journaled quite regularly. Once school would start, my journaling would peter (is that how you spell it) off until I wasn't doing it anymore. Just recently I shredded those journals (until the paper shredder got tired and I just tossed them in the trash) for fear someone would find them and also just because they were filled with dumb thoughts I never wanted to see again.
Post a Comment