Monday, August 28, 2006

Strangled by my inbox

I've closed my inbox and have forbidden myself from checking any e-mail until noon.

E-mail is becoming the biggest time suck for me. I get started on a project and realize I need to refer to a message someone sent me earlier, so I open my inbox to retrieve that message. In the process, I see a bunch of new messages helpfully highlighted in red and think I need to check those too ... 90 minutes later I've abandoned the original project because I'm too busy putting out the fires started by the five new messages I just HAD to check. I can only imagine how much worse it would be if I used my work address for personal messages.

Does anyone else have e-mail ADD? Because I do, and all those wonderful time management techniques I learned in college (like setting aside specific times for e-mail checking) have fallen by the wayside. E-mail is my addiction, my distraction, my lifeline. But I need to kick the habit ASAP because a) I'm getting projects started but having a hard time completing them and b) it's becoming a procrastination tool, which contributes to A.

As I typed that last sentence, my coworker informed me that there's an office-wide e-mail argument about our messy break room. Riveting. I've been away from my inbox for all of four minutes and I'm missing a major throwdown in office politics?

2 comments:

Andy said...

I feel your pain, baby.

Hayley said...

I also am drowned by the waters of email and facebook. In fact, currently I am supposed to be studying the integumentary system and the parts of the skull for my Anatomy exam tomorrow. Oops! Looks like Hayley is distracted by the thought that someone loved her in the past five minutes and must perform the whole email facebook routine again. Just kidding, that makes me sound like I have an obsessive compulsive disorder, and I most certainly do not.