I logged onto facebook this morning and was appalled at the new stalker-friendly format. How much time to they expect people to waste on that over-done webpage? And too much information is provided: friends' new friends, everything people said and updated.... what's next - the ability to find out who's viewed your profile and when?
Well I'm not waiting to find out. About a minute after I realized the current situation, I disabled my already stripped account. As it is, people have lost their ability to carry normal conversations now that instant messengers and online profiles exist. I had class all morning today, then when I get back two classmates start talking to me. I JUST SAW YOU ALL MORNING!
Tuesday, September 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
http://isayorly.ytmnd.com/
All death is inevitable...you should have titled it: "The Impending Death of Facebook" in my humble opinion.
No kidding, Jules. I'm seriously considering deleting my account. While I realize nobody is truly anonymous online, this "your feed" thing takes it about 13,023 steps too far.
I also am dissatisfied with this new format. I seriously don't think it's anyone's business who I'm facebooking and what I'm writing to them. It makes stalking people too easy, which makes me uncomfortable. While it's nice to say hey to those I haven't talked to in a while, if I feel the urge to say hello I should just do it in person. I'm doubting my loyalty to Facebook.
If you want privacy then send a personal message rather than writing on the wall. The new format is gaudy...yes..but I think you're blowing this out of proportion. P.S. I was successfully stalking julie prior to this addition.
paul, you seem fairly passionate about this issue. i think you're the one blowing it out of proportion. i merely said my peace - but you!... persistent!
I'd have to go ahead and disagree with you on that. And it's "piece" btw..not "peace" nuff said!
I don't know if this is a case of people blowing things out of proportion, or realizing that a new feature on a seemingly innocent social networking site could be used in far creepier ways. People are wigging out because they're realizing that technology is capable of doing things they're not comfortable with yet.
That's my story, at least. If this easy-breezy Peeping Tom feature is out there, what's going to stop corporations or God forbid, the government, from using it for far less innocent purposes? Technology arrives so quickly anymore, but in comparison, the ethics of using such innovations develop at a snail's pace. As a society, we have yet to decide what's okay and what's off-limits.
Judging by people's reactions, the new Facebook feature has touched a nerve even among the demographic one would expect to be most accepting of such features. This morning--just 24 hours after the new feature was unveiled--more than 600 people at UNL had joined the "this new feature is creepy as hell" group.
Clearly, Facebook pushed beyond our foggy boundaries. I can't wait to see how this plays out.
I haven't deleted my facebook account yet, but I'm thinking hard about how anonymous I want to be in the digital world. Technology is fun and immensely useful, but the downfalls are something to carefully consider.
Wow, Paul, I think this is the most you've talked ever on here! Just kidding! I also am very pissed about the new format. I haven't even been on Facebook for very long, but this sucks ass. I don't want everyone to know what I'm doing at all times. Weird! I've already joined two groups against it. I'm just hoping they see how much everyone hates the new feature and get rid of it!
Post a Comment