Tuesday, October 24, 2006
Influences
Ok, so.... Going to get a little deep since I haven't for a while. I've been thinking a lot about influences the last couple days. I had a really nice chat with my grandpa on Saturday night talking baseball. It's crazy, but I see more and more of myself in him, my dad and one of my uncles all the time.
And it really is amazing what great role models I've had. So maybe this is a love letter to them.
From my Grandma Washburn, I learned the value of education and heritage. She was a school teacher, and she had me all set to sset college on fire when I was like 6. Even though I lost her in 1994, she really had an impact on me in those area.
From my dad and Grandpa Washburn, I learned the family business -- bullshitting. Yup, being comfortable working a room, stepping out of my comfort zone and getting to know people. I only wish I was better at public speaking.
From my Grandma Smollen, Grandma-in-law and Grandpa-in-law, I learned what love really is. To see the way these three people take/took care of their spouses as a caregiver, even if it ran them down to the point where it practically killed them. That is the ultimate in sacrificial love.
From my Grandpa Smollen, I have learned work ethic. Here's a guy that worked it in the navy and on the blue-collar factory line of the Falstaff Brewry. It makes me sad that he is getting some form of dementia and doesn't remember a whole lot, but I choose to remember him as the guy that showed me the value of hard work and having pride in your performance.
And of course, Eddie Vedder, who's music with Peral Jam got me away from Paula Abdul and my Nintendo and started getting me out there.
It's amazing that you don't realize the events and people that are shaping your life as it happens. But in retrospect, it is always a lot of fun to look back.
Ok enough deep stuff. Back to the Asian markets and stupid observations.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Andy, that's really cool that you have so many positive, loving relatives around you that have shaped you into the guy we all love! It makes me think about the people in my life that have thus far influenced me. Kutos on the deep blog :)
well, I didn't tell you about the bastards that taught me what NOT to be. Like Ashley's loving uncle-in-law.
Post a Comment