Friday, October 27, 2006

Old habits never die

When a situation goes terribly wrong, sometimes the only good thing about it is learning from your mistakes and not repeating them again.

I managed to do that pretty successfully for about four years, but in the last semester I’ve fallen back to my old ways. In college, I was one of those sickeningly hyper-involved/rah rah, yay university! people. I also was on the Dean's List and yadayadayada. I'm not saying this to brag. From my professors' point of view, I was the model student. But from my point of view, I was pretty miserable from trying to be "perfect."

I was so happy to graduate because I couldn't take it anymore. The "real world" looked so good in comparison to college. It was. I had a steady work schedule most of the year and I didn't join any clubs because I was burned out from being a do-gooder in high school and college.

All that changed this semester. I've started school again. My involvement in a certain volunteer group has become more than I can handle. People have asked me to serve on committees at work, and I've said yes. Add those things on top of being a married homeowner, and I have CAUTION: MAY DETONATE written all over me.

I can’t believe I'm in same place I was four years ago—stressed out, crabby, losing sleep, and wondering how I got myself into this mess. I swore that I'd learned from my mistakes in college and I wouldn't do that again.

I changed for a while, but at the end of the day, I guess I haven't changed that much. Where's the happy medium between being a slacker and being like my mother?

4 comments:

Paul Anderson said...

The only answer to your woes is to make Andy stay at home...cook the meals...do the laundry. Power to women!weohoahohwh

Ashley said...

heh, that might help. i'll let him know that's your recommendation. :)

Andy said...

Paul, your idea is really top drawer. One problem, I'm in grad school, too. What to do. What to do?

Hayley said...

This is quite a situation you're in my dear. I don't know how to solve the problem, but lately my zen has been a bit out of wack. I blame it on the fact that we only have about six weeks left until our much needed Christmas vacation. I guess you're going to have to trim some corners...what's more important to you Ashley? Having a life and being a little involved, or being a Super Susie and trying to do it all and not enjoying your life?