Thursday, August 21, 2008

And so it begins.

4 days before the DNC:

Denver already has a scare where envelopes containing white powder are delivered to one of McCain's campaign offices. Five people drive themselves to the hospital to get checked out for possible anthrax poisoning. (negative).

I can only imagine what it will be like when several hundred thousand people descend upon Denver this weekend. Fortunately, if there is some sort of mass casualty, most of the trauma will go to the surgery services. However, every single alcohol or drug overdose and dehydration case will be coming to internal medicine. I also happen to be starting at Denver Health Medical Center on Saturday, which, as the county hospital, is first in line for any patients coming in. The ER is going to be a zoo. They've already told all the hospitalists at Denver Health that they need to be on call this week.

Apparently they are giving all the homeless people movie tickets to get them off the streets during the convention. Down at Invesco Field they will be having full size replicas of the Oval Office and AirForce One for tourists to see. La. I will be staying home to watch the proceedings on television.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Damn Democrats. They're such lushes! ;)

Am I the only one that sees the irony in the so-called "soft-hearted" party wanting to hide all the homeless people? That seems, well, odd.

Still, I'll be watching the festivities on TV.

Andy said...

Its not the party -- it's the city of Denver according to my buddy in Boulder wanting the city clean and tidy.

Mary said...

That's true...Denver hopes to gain more economic benefit from this event if it presents a better face on TV. George Clooney is in town...I am on the lookout.

Ashley said...

Well, I'm relieved to hear that it's the city's decision and not the party's. That said, I still think it's a little messed up.

Mary, I hope you carry a digital camera at all times. I love me some George Clooney.