I promise I won't make a habit of asking you for medical advice over the interwebz, but I need to know whether it's crucial to see a doctor about a problem I've had all summer.
I've been having these awful coughing spells at night, especially when I first lay down. I also wake up with a stuffy nose and drainage in my throat. I don't have any of these problems during the day, so what's up? Am I allergic to our bedroom? Should I buy an air purifier?
These coughing fits interrupt my sleep and I'm majorly cranky today because I spent all night tossing and turning.
I have not consulted WebMD because I turn into a hypercondriac whenever I read anything on that site. Cancer is WebMD's answer for everything, it seems.
Okay, just writing this out makes it clear that I need to see a doctor. Are there any questions I should make sure to ask?
Friday, August 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
How timely. We just had a morning report today on the major causes of cough. The big four are:
1. Asthma - do you have wheezing and/or shortness of breath?
2. Gastroesophageal reflux disease - do you have acid reflux, sxs that get worse with lying down or after a big meal?
3. Tobacco cough - ruled out for you because you don't smoke
4. Postnasal drip - from cold or allergies. Sounds like this is what you may have. May be accompanied by itchy eyes or runny/stuffy nose. Maybe you are allergic to something in the bedroom. I wonder if you are allergic to something outside that just manifests at night once you are laying down and all your lovely nose secretions can run down the back of your throat. Could try a nonsedating antihistamine like Allegra or Zyrtec OTC. If that doesn't help, feel free to consult an MD in person.
McCain chose a woman VP, hey. ...shrewd decision to attract those disenfranchised Hillary Clinton supporters?
EXTREMELY lower on my differential would be cancer or tuberculosis. If you are having a fever or feeling crappy, I guess you could have pneumonia, which can happen in summer months, too.
Thank you, Dr. Mary. I will try the Allegra and report back. I'm getting seriously annoyed by this particular affliction. For a long time, I convinced myself I could not possibly have allergies because I was exposed to every allergy under the sun while living on a farm, thus building up an immunity. But it has been 10 years since I've lived on said farm, and I guess things have changed since then.
Post a Comment