Wednesday, October 26, 2005

My memories
I don't know if it's possible to pick a favorite memory of Grandma, but the thing I miss most is our long talks at the kitchen table. When I came home from college for the weekend, sometimes I'd go straight to Grandpa and Grandma's house without stopping at home. No matter how stressed I was about school, just being around Grandma made me forget anything negative in my life. We talked about a lot of mundane stuff, like what people were up to, or the letters she'd written that week, but somewhere along the line she'd manage to give me a piece of advice about life in general. I don't even know if she was aware of it. Right now I'd give anything to tap five times on the door, greet her with a huge hug, and sit around that Formica table in the kitchen with her, eating popcorn, drinking Pepsi, and talking about life.

Grandma was a true lady -- the type of woman I want to be. She spoke the truth, but always with love and tact. She stuck to her principles, but was open-minded enough to consider others' viewpoints. Her mental strength came from her faith, confidence, and love for others. She was the quintessential cozy, cuddly Grandma-type. The family dinners she made are some of the best meals I've ever had. Ham balls and mashed taters ... mmm. :)

Today, many women believe they must be aggressive or intimidating to gain respect. The way Grandma lived her life proves that in the long run, kindness matters. Nice girls don't finish last.

No comments: