Sunday, December 18, 2005

People are usually surprised when they discover I'm a Sex and the City addict. However, I don't watch the show for the men, the sexual exploits, or the New York City hotspots. (Okay, sometimes I do.) But the real reason I'm hooked on the show is because I'm living vicariously through the characters' friendships. Through heartbreak and shoe shopping, Carrie and the girls are always there for each other.

I desperately want a girl gang of my own (albeit a less slutty one). Trying to make new friends has proven to be one of the hardest parts of post-collegiate life. My true-blue, best friends are the people I became close to during high school and college. While we're still close, none of us live near each other. I can't call my best friends and tell them to meet me at the coffee shop in twenty minutes. One of them lives in Japan, for God's sake.

In an effort to expand my social circle, I've joined community service groups and tried to befriend coworkers, acquaintances, and the like. And let me tell you, it's hard. I have a group of girls that I play card games and drink wine with once a month, but it's purely a social connection, not an emotional one. Making friends after college is a lot like dating. Finding someone with similar interests, values, and the X-factor -- that indefinable quality that makes people "click" -- isn't easy.

From what I've heard and observed, many twenty-somethings seem to be in the same boat. You'd think we could get our act together and find our own circle of Friends, but alas, life isn't a sitcom. In college, everyone shares a similar lifestyle experience. After graduation day, we no longer have a common experience to bring us together. Some go to grad school, some get married, some have kids, some travel overseas, some focus on careers ... you can see why it's hard to find a connection.

Sometimes I get lonely and wonder if I'm a special kind of loser because I don't have many friends in Lincoln. However, being in a friendship drought has made me appreciate my true friends even more, and I've become better at expressing just how much I care about them. I'm also glad that as we get older, the age difference between me and my lovely sisters matters less. When I do or say something goofy, Hayley and Lindsey may laugh at me, but I know they love me no matter what. That's the best kind of friend, if you ask me. :)

At the risk of sounding like a cheesy mass e-mail forward, do the following today:
1) Call a friend and thank them for putting up with your crazy self
2) Hug your sisters, for they can be the greatest friends.
3) Watch an episode of Sex and the City. It rocks.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

It's a new day, and I'm not feeling as sorry for myself. ;) My lovely former roomie Crystal just invited me to her birthday/wine tasting party, and I'm quite excited about it. Perhaps I need to do a better job of nurturing friendships with people I've always liked, but don't spend enough time with. That's my New Year's resolution.

Julie said...

You got me thinking about this topic yesterday and I came up with a similar conclusion. I feel like I think more about myself lately than others... like I've forgotten how to feel/ care. It was a scary thing to think about.

By the way, THANKS EVERYONE FOR CHRISTMAS CARDS... an example of how I found no time to reciprocate.

Ashley said...

Jules, I know what you mean. It's so easy to get caught up in our own lives, to-do lists, and the like that we sort of forget to reach out to others. That's unfortunate. :(