Monday, August 14, 2006

Cousin Central

Monday Musings:

Do not get old. Back in the day, I could waterski and swim and party and kneeboard all day. Well, I just had a weekend out at Lake Okiboji in Iowa and it was an awesome time. Got to sit around for three days and just chill.

Waterskiing -- Good
Catching up with old college friends -- Good
Beer -- Good
Boating and swimming -- Good
All-night poker and pitch -- Good
BBQ and Steaks -- Good

The hangover of sleep deprivation and sore muscles (as sore as I've been in two or three years) as you head in to work on Monday -- NOT SO GOOD.

But man, what a killer weekend. Its also funny how our poker talk has switched from chicks and drinking stories to talk about personal finance, home equity lines, theology and child-rearing philosophy.

I'd like to throw out an official suggestion to the group. Instead of meeting in Des Moines in the mittle of winter, we should really ocnsider Okiboji each summer. It's 4 hours from Lincoln and about 5 hours from Cuba City. Just a thought -- lots more to do and we coudl get a giant cabin all togeher with seperate bedrooms and the like for much cheaper than the AmericInn and we're on a lake for the love of Pete. Parents can sit up and play cards all they want, and we can zip around on Jet Skis, swim, hit the bars, cruise for ladies to set up with Cole, etc...

Just a thought.

Peace out players -- I need Advil!

12 comments:

Lindsey said...

Sounds like a splendid idea!

Hayley said...

Dude, and we need to find some tanned and toned boys for me and Jules to oogle all day.

Also, I'm glad your bachelor fest was fun. What are your ideas on child-raising techniques? J/K you don't have to answer that.

Lastly, are we going to have a reunion anytime soon? If not I'm just going to randomly drive to Wisconsin to see my super stellar cousins!

Julie said...

I know I can't wait an entire year to see my favorite cousins again.

p.s. I move into my own apartment in a few hours!!!!!

Ashley said...

Hmm. We still might need a fall or winter trip just because we miss each other so much.

But if we're serious about Okoboji next summer, we should set the date NOW so everybody can plan for it and we'll have an easier time making reservations.

There are two big problems: 1) Elroy Senior has a hard time getting away during the summer because he has to irrigate and 2) Miss Mary will be very busy in the next few years.

I don't know ... maybe we should have a cousins-only reunion in the summer and still get together with the 'rents during Christmas break? Just throwing some ideas out there.

Let's keep this conversation going until we figure something out. We're all old enough to take the lead on this and not wait for the parents to fart around and finally make a decision months from now.

Hayley said...

We definitely need to take action, we know that the parents aren't probably going to get it together until like November. I think though, that we should have a cousins only retreat. I don't care when, just pick a time that works for everyone!

Andy said...

If we have a cousins only deal, I don't want any excuses. nobody leavign early for weddings, studying, boyfriend/girlfriend or liver transplants. Fair enough?

Julie said...

You do realize there's never going to be a time when we're all free, right?

Hayley said...

Hmm, good point Julie. What about Labor Day weekend? Is that too soon and too close to school for people? Just throwing that out there.

Paul Anderson said...

k, I'm game Mr. Andy. Set the wheels in motion.

Ashley said...

I like Labor Day, but I don't know what Andy's football obligations are that weekend.

UNL and Doane have the same fall break. It starts after class on Friday, Oct. 13 and classes resume Wed., Oct. 18. Does UW have a fall break?

Julie said...

No fall break for us. Mary hardly has any breaks for the next two years, actually.

Lindsey said...

I like the sound of a get together. Make the plans, and I'll be there!