The Omaha World-Herald revealed this morning that Warren B., the second-richest man in the world and Nebraska’s only non-football celebrity, remarried this week.
That part is barely newsworthy compared to the bombshell dropped later in the article: Mr. B's new wife, Astrid, has lived with him since the 1970s. But Mr. B was actually married to his first wife, Susan, from 1952 until her death in 2004.
Say wha? The Oracle of Omaha, our humble hometown billionaire who still wears JC Penney suits, had a paramour? (I love that word, yet this is the first time I’ve had a real reason to use it.)
Wait, it gets better. Susan introduced him to Astrid and encouraged the relationship when she moved to San Francisco. The women were friends and both accompanied him to various personal and business events. Apparently, both women were supportive of this arrangement. Why Warren, you lucky dog, you!
I know it’s wrong to judge other people’s relationships because one never knows what negotiations and agreements a couple has made behind closed doors. But I cannot imagine, under any circumstances, introducing Andy to another woman and saying, “I’m moving away, my love, but let’s stay married. Let’s be friends. Let’s continue having sex. But go ahead, live with my friend and have sex with her, too!”
It’s not polygamy, but it’s awfully close. The ultra-rich are indeed different from the rest of us.
Thursday, August 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow, Warren is a stud I guess! Maybe he and his wife thought monogamy was boring and decided to put a twist on the Swingers life. Who knows, but I definitely agree that the ultra-rich live much differently.
Post a Comment