Figured I would go for some pretty deep stuff to start the semester and new year.
With it being Sunday tomorrow, and with a lot of free time on my hands, I've been pondering spirituality a bit. I was talking with a friend who has a good job, is happy with everything, but still feels a little empty that his life has no meaning or purpose. Every day is get up, go to work, come home, watch TV, do chores. Do it all again the next day, only to have some free time and money every couple nights to do something social and/or fun. But where is the deeper purpose other than capitalism and having more money to buy more stuff?
Well, I guess I have found that a lot of people our age feel that way and I really think the problem is in the separation of spirituality out of daily life. There just seem to be so many people that just go through the rat race, work hard and hope for fulfillment, but are still lacking something. They may even go to church on Sundays, and believe in God.
But, I am starting to wonder life is becoming too compartmentalized, and spirituality is being delegated out to one day a week or just in the evenings before bed or before meal prayers. Those folks I know that exercise their spirituality 24/7 seem to find more satisfaction. I'm not saying to be openly religious or preachy in class or at work, but to keep the central parts of faith in your soul constantly.
Meditate. Pray. Take a little time for yourself everyday. Seek the higher purpose you serve. Seek new knowledge. Enjoy the relationships with those you love, and do not let HDTV, nifty shoe sales, or even the recent surge of Asian markets.
I am going to try and do that more and see if maybe I can live a more fulfilling 2006. Looking back, even the class with the bastard-coated bastard taught me something. True, it taught me international economic theory, but it also taught me patience, focus and maybe even kick-started this line of thinking for me that I never want to be one of those people that are not living up to professional expectations because they have an emptyness in their souls. I hope the bastard-coated bastard finds what he needs to within himself, because we will be miserable and pass that on to a lot of people in the future if he doesn't start to look within. His textbooks, his academic accomplishments, and his other successes will still leave him empty.
Deep thoughts. What do you think?
Ok, peace out, players.
Saturday, January 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That was very deep, Andy. You have a lot of good points, and I think everyone could learn a little something from you.
I agree that I would be a better, happier person if I made a greater effort to incorporate more spirituality into my life. It's one of my New Year's resolutions.
Post a Comment