Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sorry I've been mostly absent from Cousin Central lately. January has sucked hard-core, and I knew that anything I wrote would be depressing and/or angry. To sum it up, here's why I've been a raving bitch for 27 days:
- Two people at work are in a pissing match over a project that I'm helping some students work on. This project is such small potatoes compared to the bigger stuff these folks should be worrying about, and I don't know why it's such a big frackin' deal ... but I'm caught in the middle and can't do anything in the meantime. Bureaucracy is AWESOME.
- I have to fire a student worker. She's had many chances to prove that she's responsible, and I don't have time to babysit someone who flakes out 75% of the time.
- I'm exhausted from dealing with people who commit to doing something, even when they seemingly know they don't have enough time to devote to a project.
- I'm having a hard time trusting certain people right now. I can't decide if I'm being smart or paranoid.
- My grandma isn't doing well, and it makes me feel really sad and helpless.

Here's to a happier February, everyone. Hopefully I'll have some more humorous material soon. :)

3 comments:

Hayley said...

Word to bad January. I mean I try really hard to be perky, but sometimes this madness gets me down. Like the fact that I really want to be a nurse but I suck at biology related classes. What gives? Mary, Julie, if you have any words of advice I would GREATLY appreciate some words of wisdom or words of comfort. Surely I'm not the only gomer confused in Anatomy class. Anyway I'm right by your side Schnookums, so feel free to vent. Flaky people suck! Just stick it to them and you'll feel a little better.

Mary said...

Ashley,
Thank goodness we can always rely on our family when other people in this world are acting stupid, irresponsible, or mean. I'm with you two in hoping for a better February, too. My renal course has been a pain in the neck. (Which, by the way, is about the kidney. Mom and Dad just asked me what it meant after I've been talking about it for 4 weeks. It means kidney. Not rectum.) Anyhow, here's some words of comfort, hopefully, Hayley: For me, science classes are among the hardest out there (except for creative writing classes as at some point at college I developed a writer's block). There is a ton of memorization and you have to basically learn a whole new vocabulary and think about things in an analytical/integrated way. My point is that biology is hard, but it is so worth it to stick with it. I am still amazed that this collection of cells and muscles and ions and nerves somehow produces a human being who is conscious and can build cities and create great works of art, etc, etc. My best advice would be to go annoy your teaching assistants until you understand the material. That's how I made it through undergrad.

Ashley said...

Mary, that was positively inspiring. :)